Pages

Boba Fett. 'That towel's worth a lot to me!'

An awesome story from Steve Sansweet...

How about this for an early holiday gift? I recently discovered that I OWN BOBA FETT’S ORIGINAL CAPE!! Um, sorry for shouting, but that’s really exciting news. Of course, it’s not exactly what it seems, and therein lies a great story.

A few months ago I met Duwayne Dunham, who was directing an episode of Star Wars: The Clone Wars for this season. Duwayne, a really great guy, was an assistant film editor on The Empire Strikes Back. I also knew that he had been the helpful “model” for the original white Boba Fett armor that ILM had made under the watchful eye of Joe Johnston, who had designed it. I brought Duwayne a number of photos that had been taken the day that he tried on the suit for George Lucas, Johnston, Ben Burtt and others. He regaled me with some great stories and then said, “You know, that first cape was a beach towel!” Duwayne explained that George thought the costume needed some pieces to distinguish it, but the closest thing at hand to a cape was a towel.

Then, a couple of weeks ago, Lucasfilm’s continuity editor Leland Chee sent around the black and white photo seen here and asked if anyone might possibly know how to dig up an image of the full towel. That’s when I first realized that it was a STAR WARS beach towel that completed Mr. Fett’s uniform! Doh! “I’ll bring it in tomorrow,” I emailed back. Even in the current disorganization of Rancho Obi-Wan, it took me only about five minutes to locate it. And now, fellow collectors, the big question is, do YOU own Boba Fett’s original cape too?

Join Steve on facebook, and while your there, Like us too! 8D

0 comments:

Post a Comment